Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Monday Sept 23 - training shout out

so Monday... one of the first Mondays that I don't have a week of rugby planned.

I did plan on going in to work a little later than usual, so with that time ... I trained. I did this four rounds before I had to get myself together and get going:

20 kb swings with a top release and catch. First round with 40 lb bell, all other rounds with 50 lbs
10 kb cleans each side
20 feet up push ups
15 hanging knee tucks

I just wanted to get back in the swing of things. When I got to work, I had a message from SurfSet Fitness about their class at 8pm. To be honest, I had asked my better half about whether or not I could go, and so, I was set to go.

All I was really looking for was something totally different than what I've been doing of late. Man, I was pleasantly surprised with what I got.

I had a bit of a problem finding the place, but when I did I was impressed with their space. Nice floors and a clean room. I grabbed a board and helped Bill Ronald get the boards set up. He was doing his second class of the night - back to back - and was looking pretty good, despite that fact. I put my water and backpack (with extra t-shirt) beside me and we got going.

It was an female class, except for me, of course. For the occasion, I wore my bright pink rugby t-shirt. I was kind of glad for that selection, as I blended in to the rest of the class...

We did each set of these for three or four rounds.

Warm up
Step ups on to the board
10 knee to board/ leg lunges
10 "surfer position" standing opposite knee to hand touches
10 feet on feet off the board in plank position

10 Mountain Climbers
4 slow body weight squats with a 10 second hold at the bottom
10 table hip thrusts (this one I just couldn't do - like NO shoulder mobility for me, thanks to a long season of rugby. I did try my best to do a modified version and keep my heart rate up, though)

A thumbs up from me!
10 full body arm circles
10 body weight squats

Abs:
10 second low flutter kicks
10 second big flutter kicks
10 supine opposite arm - opposite knee touches
10 sit ups (yeah, I am feeling these the next day ....)

at the end of the workout,  my legs were a little annoyed with me, but since I do a lot of body weight squats in my own training, I was pretty good with that work on my legs. My abs ... well, they're sore at the moment, but feeling good. I did get a decent sweat on; it was a class for the basics, and I knew that going in.

Overall, I had fun and got to work out on a surfboard. If I do get to a surfing spot this summer (not likely) I'd like to think that with this workout (and the other ones I intend to do) I'll be ready for the water. Of course, I could always hit the surf in Lake Ontario ... but without a dry suit, not likely until July.

I'll admit, though, after class, we got this done, too:


No comments:

Post a Comment